December 06, 2013

Day 6 - Interactivity Board Game Cafe

There is no chance that this review is objective.  My friends Jak and Bill opened this place recently, and the old Board Game store on Fort Street has many good memories. Not least because 90% of my social life when I moved to Canada came out of the store and playing board games there.  So, if your looking for a reasoned, independent review, I am sure one will be along soon.

In the mean time, there's this.

I love this place.  I love their decent fresh coffee, their range of loose leaf teas from Silk Road.  I love meeting people over a board game, sitting there until midnight playing games.  I like the atmosphere of openness they promote.  Paying $5 to borrow a board game and drink it over a reasonably priced cup of tea with friends, or strangers is a wonderful experience.  They also serve fresh made ice cream and milkshakes (that I've been told are the best ever by at least one ten year old, which is a fine recommendation).

I like the fresh sandwiches.  The Salmon is my favourite. Salmon, with Arugula, Chipotle Sauce and Brie, smooshed into bread and toasted in a panini iron. Occasionally it needs a little longer in the heater, but it's a solid winner for me.  It gets a blend of gooey cheese, smoking fish and tangy bite. Served fast, with a few chips.  $8.  Jobs perfect.

The Mediterranean is a close second.  Piles of humus, tomato and feta cheese with olives.  Toasted just long enough to warm the bread up, and I'm sure it's far too healthy.  Shouldn't they be serving high fructose corn syrup drinks and deep fried lard balls?

Well, yes, if you want the stereotypes.  But the mix of people in the cafe is not all your stereotypical gaming geeks arguing over the rules (that's just me) and socially awkward guys hiding behind comic books.  It's all sorts. The college kids trying out a game for a beer-free night out, the family of four playing Mouse Trap, the game nerds digging into the latest mega release from Essen, the pre-club crowd looking to hang out somewhere before down town clubs open.  Don't judge, the (game) play is the thing.


Interactivity Board Game Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment