December 15, 2013

Day 15 - numinous

numinous (adj.) having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity: the strange, numinous beauty of this ancient landmark.


My fellow Advent Challengee came up with this as a word of the day to write about, to muse upon.

I write about food, drink and going out in Victoria.  I love Victoria. I think at least once a week how happy and lucky I am that I moved to this corner of Canada, out just before the edge of nowhere.  This blog is sort of a love letter to the Pacific Northwest.  An occasionally bad tempered, rambling, on and off again epistle to the area, but none-the-less, meant to be sharing what I like about being out here. And the things I would like to see change (bad brunch places and the definition of Hash Browns).

It's not a spiritual connection, though being on Dallas road at sun rise on a day when the mists are just lifting from the Olympics is inspiring and brings a smile to my face.  Drinking a local beer I love, like the Flanders Sour Red from Driftwood, or the Double Dragon from Phillips.  When you sit and stare at the beer, the flavour, the smell floods your brain.  The moment when conversation ceases over dinner, and eating takes over.  Eating slowing and relishing what's been given to you, like the entire meal I once had at Ulla (a future post if I can do it justice).

Seeing Orca's on active pass, or running into old friends down town, or fantastic meal with the girlfriend at Little Jumbo. Walking around Fort Rodd Hill, sitting in front room of a friends house talking about the week, shouting at the Royal's hockey team, or enjoying a concert at the Alix Goolden.

Those are awe inspiring moments that make me glad to be alive, to be able to experience them, to savour them with friends and family.

I never used to meditate, but have found recently it's a great tool to relax, reflect and just get a good nights sleep.  I use an image of climbing Mount Tolmie, each step dropping away a little baggage from the day, each turn handing off a knot or strain in my muscles.  Till, when I reach the peak, with that view I can conjure up, all that's in my mind is that image.  Quiet, serene, and ready to examine reflectively.

So, if I was to call something numinous, it's that little rocky part of Saanich I can go to when I need to.





No comments:

Post a Comment