December 23, 2013

Day 23 - Urbanspoon

According to UrbanSpoon, I am the 10th most read blogger on their site for Vancouver Island (see : http://www.urbanspoon.com/bgs/317/Vancouver-Island), which means I can proudly add this badge:

Victoria, in Person Vancouver Island restaurants

You can see all the blog posts I crossed link into UrbanSpoon.com on this handy map:




You know, in case you want to recreate and tour the places that I have been, in some sort of strange pilgrimage through my past endeavours. I wouldn't suggest it, I suspect a few of those places have closed, and some that are still open don't deserve your business.

I use Urbanspoon myself to look up likely places to go for brunch with my friends, or to suss out whether a new place is worth a shot. Or just to see what people are saying about the places I love (or hate).  I also follow a couple of the other bloggers from there.  Not least the Victoria Food Blog, which is the best source I know of for getting information on what is out there.

'Your restaurant sucks' stopped back in 2012, but it's still worth going back to, as the writing is incisive and funny.  And also good tips to owners and operators on how to do better service.  It also seems that 'Katie is a Teacher' has disappeared, which is a shame.  It was more about Calgary and teaching, but I did enjoy her take on Victoria food.

Urbanspoon's micro reviews and diner entries are interesting, though you will often get a very short angry review when something went wrong, with little else from that poster, which raises the eyebrows.  Still if a place has 100+ review thumbs, and scores under 60%, it generally seems to be a good idea to miss it.  If it's well over 80%, it's worth trying.  But don't always trust the wisdom of the crowds.




No comments:

Post a Comment