December 14, 2013

Day 14 - Stewart Mountain

I'm told the view from the top of Stewart Mountain is beautiful. Today it was foggy and damp up there, and given I'd left my glasses in the car, the sweat was running into my eyes and I was more appreciative of the apple sauce energy pack I was sucking down, the view wasn't why I was there.

I ran the Prairie Inn Harriers 10 mile cross country challenge today. I finished last of the runners in a time of 2h18m57s, 4 seconds behind the next two runners. But what was important to me was finishing, with no major injuries, passing out or puking my guts up. It was just about the toughest physical thing I have ever done, and was under trained for it... the main hill run was steeper and longer than I remembered when hiking it in September, the mud was deeper, the creeks I had to run through were cold and in places covered in ice. And the number of climbs and down hills on rocky trail far harder to keep a rhythm up than my training on the pristine slopes of Mount Tolmie.

But, I felt good that I had done it. And was already thinking by the end that I should try to do it again next year, stronger and better prepared.

The post race beer, steak and eggs tasted oh-so-good though.


The potatoes were home grown. The beef and eggs were not. The beer, a good IPA from Tap-it California, courtesy of the beer advent calendar. Hoppy, with out being over bittered, lovely golden colour and just a hint of the malts left on the nose and taste.

I am off to recover some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment