December 03, 2013

Day 3 - Thetis Lake

In about 12 days I am taking my woefully ill-prepared body on a 16km trail run around Thetis lake, over Stewart Mountain and back again.  Given the last time I was up there I agreed to write a blog post every day for Advent, I wonder if my sanity will be adversely affected.  

More seriously, since I started running, trails haven't been something I've done much with.  I have been an off and on again hiker, though, and run around Elk Lake plenty of times.  Nothing as fast as to set any records on fire, but it's the getting out there that I like.  The runners high does exist. It took me at least a year to find it. It's a peacefulness when your brain goes into a zone, the rhythm of your feet allows you to sweat out the worries you may have and let stress glide away and you get this -awareness- of yourself and the surroundings.  

It doesn't always last very long, but when it's there, it's a joy to be in the moment. Just to be -there- and alive.  Then comes along a hill or a traffic crossing or a stitch and it goes again. So you run again to try and find it again.  To improve yourself, to try and stay there a little bit longer, and because you like what the scales says.  Because you know you should be able to get up that hill near your house without sounding like a wounded deer, because dammit, other people do.  You've seen them.  And being on top of a hill in Victoria, looking across the city and the sea, that just worth it.  And it's worth more when you walk up than drive up.  

Anyway, Thetis Lake.  I've hiked most of the Stewart Mountain trail in August, to see what I was up against. A series of twisty paths, lake views, fallen trees and a steep gravel hill.  I went back last week with my friend Andrea (and fellow challengee) to see that those nice dry twisty paths can turn into a mud bath in the winter.  And the last stretch has three short but oh-so-sharp climbs along the cliffs above Thetis Lake.  

But never mind the rain... there's something glorious about walking and running in the rain... in a rain forest. The path always changing kept my mind going,  no long stretches of the boring tarmac.  There's possibility of a diversion down a deer trail (going up the hill twice through undergrowth was an extra lower body work out), or slipping into the mud (good for the skin).  Once you get going, the mud and wet isn't a real problem.  You only notice it when you stop.  And that hot shower feels good. There's no great views, but there's a creeks, the lake and greenery.  Lots and lots of green.  Proper, awkward growing green, that sticks out at odd angles, tangles your feet up and sticks in your hair.  The good stuff.

More sensibly, you can paddle board or swim in the Lake in the summer.  It's great dog walking country (if you want to led me your dog, I'll take it next time I go), and only a stone's throw for the six mile (good pub food and a decent pint) and a quick drive up to Loghouse, so you can do buffet breakfast before (or after, if you are an early bird) your adventures up there.

Victorians are lucky to have so much wild close to the home.  You can get away from it all for a short time in a short time.  As a Londoner, that sort of solitude with nature was much harder to find (though parts of Hampstead Heath and Muswell Hill were substitute).  It's worth keeping.


No comments:

Post a Comment