December 14, 2014

Six Mile Pub, View Royal

On the way out to a nice muddy trail race around Thetis Lake, Andrea decided that a new reality show is required, called 'Drive-thrus, Dumps and Trail Races'.  I think this was highly amusing to everybody inside the car (Population2).I won't be ousting Guy Fieri any time soon from the Food Network.  Or be the new Tom Green.  However, it is very true that I do love chicken sandwiches, fried chicken, roast chicken and any other variation on chicken that doesn't involved it pulverised into pink slime (Chicken Nuggets).  So perhaps the idea of reviewing every chicken fast food, drive-thru in the Vancouver Island area would make great television.

I will send the idea to Chek News.

Otherwise, lets stick with some semblance of reality.   I ran around a muddy forest, up to my calves in cold water and mud for an hour and fifteen minutes, on purpose.  After you've run through ice cold stream, you realized as long as you keep moving, your feet warm up again.  And the next one doesn't need to be gingerly stepped through... jump in, and get through it, and up the other side to the next hill or bend.

This is all great until you get back to the car, realize you don't have dry trainers, and hence have to walk into the Six Mile in just your socks.  I didn't see a sign saying 'no shoes, no service', but to avoid anyone spotting my lack of foot wear sat behind a bench table in the corner and hid my feet.

The rest of the runners from the trail run were heading down for a free snack and glass of Fat Tug, but I needed a proper feed.  I run, partly as I do get the elusive runner's high at times, but also so I can justify eating a lot of high calorie food.  Like fried chicken.

Naturally, after all the talk of chicken, I ordered the New York steak sandwich, with a fried egg on top.  My favourite post run meal... steak and eggs. Unless there's chicken and waffles. I pretend the protein attack helps my muscles recover fast, and the fat replaces some of the energy stores I have used up.  I could do with losing some of those 'stores' around my belly, but then this blog would be describing a lot of green salads.

And you don't make friends with salad.

The Six Mile back room is lovely wide open space, over looking a small kitchen garden and the end of the Mill Stream as it widens and flows into Esquimalt Harbour.  It's a nice bright space, compared to the more traditional nooks of the main bar area.  Our server, Faye, came over once we got settled and brought us coffee quickly.  She was lively, and really interested in the run we'd just completed.  Top marks for her service, and for the staff behind the bar who got us pointed in the right direction when we arrived.

The food was good, the eggs done over easy so I can dribble the yolk over my medium-rare steak.  The steak was tender and cooked a bit over towards medium, but it's a thin New York cut, so no problems there, as once seared it's going to be close to cooked in the middle too.  The fries were fine, nothing special.  I suspect a pile of greens here would have been a better choice...

Andrea got the all day breakfast, with all the meat options being replaced by bacon.  A huge pile of crispy pork goodness, and a large croquette potato to go with the eggs, tomato and toast.  The bacon was good. Both plates looked good and filled us up.  As ever, take a pinch of salt with any review after a long run.  Hunger covers up flaws.  But I have been in hear before for a lunch time sandwich, and been happy with that too.

The place filled up rapidly with tired and happy runners just after we got our meals.  Our server was rushed of her feet bringing out drinks and orders to people, but she seemed to not miss a beat, and was pretty awesome throughout the time there.  Always keeping our coffee mugs filled up, and checking on our progress.

All in, a good retreat after a trail run.  And the Liquor Store sells cold and flu remedy (Dewars Honey whisky... mix with hot water and lemon, cures most of what ails you).

Six Mile Pub on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment