December 21, 2014

Lin Heung, Mount Tolmie, Victoria

Solo dining isn't as exciting as dining with friends.  But after a drive back from Nanaimo in the pouring rain, I wanted to eat fast and not cook.  So I turned into the Shelbourne Plaza and headed into Lin Heung.

It's a basic Chinese restaurant, Formica tables, bright lights and plastic covered menus.  No frills, no frippery.  The whiteboard (so I guess there's been a renovation in there at some point in the last dozen years) shows the lunch specials, but as it was evening, there seemed to be nothing up.

No matter, as I ordered the set meal for one... tea, spring roll, broccoli and beef, pork balls and pork chop suey.

The spring roll was pretty good, a little greasy, but then it's rare not to have a deep fried roll swimming in fat.  This one was crispy at least and filled with a mixture of bamboo shoots and mushrooms and carrots.

The main course was one big plate, with a half dozen pork balls, a ladle of the beef and broccoli and a veritable mountain of chop-suey in the middle.

The beef was tender, not chewy and well cooked in the dark, soy-based sauced, with bright green florets giving a nice crunch.  The balls were covered in that sweet orange sauce that reminds me of British Chinese fast food.  Not very authentic, but in my mind it says 'Chinese' food (as opposed to Cantonese, Szechuan, etc).  The pork balls were crispy, with a good chunk of tender meat.  I would have eaten ore of this too.

The chop-suey was a little disappointing.  Made with brown noodles, I was expecting this earthy, savoury flavour from them.  They had a little flavour, but nothing quite as I love from this style of cooking. There was lots of strands of char-sui pork mixed in there, pink edges from the glaze, and brown strips.  It filled me up, but I probably wouldn't order it on it's own.

All-in-all, for $12, I got a fast meal with some good flavours.  It's what I wanted and needed at the time, and I'd visit again... or order take out, they deliver free in the area.


Lin Heung on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment