May 25, 2014

Sue's Place, Campbell River

About twenty kilometres north of Campbell River on Highway 19 is a sign, brightly advertisings Sue's Place for coffee and baked goods.  Plenty of those sorts of places on the highway, and you'll drive past most of them.  But, having been there once before, two years ago on my way south with my parents, I pulled off the road again for a snack on my way north.  I knew there'd be a good welcome and good food.  Or at least I hoped nothing had changed.

Open from 5am till 3pm, I caught the last half hour of service, but Sue seemed as cheerful as the last time I'd been in.  I ordered a grilled ham and cheese and sidled up to the counter to eat.  The restaurant has two sections: a dining room sized nook at back, and a small counter with a booth at the front.  And a sliding window to sling coffee and baked goods out to those not stopping for long.  You look right into the kitchen, with a big aluminium grill, organized Tupperware and racks of baked goods.  The cinnamon buns are big, and glisten with sugary icing, cake slices are generous and the cheese top rolls (from past experience) are a rich, savoury bun with plenty of sharpness in the cheddar.

Sue was running the place on her own, and got busy with my order while making a couple of cappuccino's for another order.  These were met with much happiness from the lounge on delivery.  I assumed that they'd also ordered a grilled ham sandwich too given by the heaping tong full of meat placed onto the grill... but no.. that was all mine.  A veritable doorstop of a sarnie.  Melted cheese oozing just-so over the hot meat, encased in a thick brown bread wrapper.  Fresh bread, that has that bite when toasted, that crunches and crackles and you chomp through it. That warm, grilled and browned flavour you only get from being on the grill itself.  Perfect road fuel to get you going again and through to the Ports (McNeill, Hardy and Alice).

I chatted quickly to hard working Sue who apologized for not recognizing me from two years ago.  Which seemed like nothing to apologize for... apart from my English accent, I don't think I really stand out that much, and given the number of truckers, tourists and locals who stop by, I am quite happy to be called 'honey' like everyone else.  Such a bright, happy welcome after a ten hour shift, though I think she has help in at other times.  Still, this retirement project seems to be a lot of work, but I am thankful it's there.

My only complaint was Sue takes Sundays off.  So, no coffee and sandwich on the way back south.  Otherwise, avoid Campbell Rover if going all the way north, and stop here for food.

Sue's Place on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment