May 18, 2014

Camping - Gordon Bay, Cowichan Valley

This weekend, it was time to camp for the first time this year.  May Long Weekend but we got it booked up nice and early, with four sites all walking distance apart at Gordon's Bay Provincial Park.  That's on the south side of Lake Cowichan, with is forested hills and steep cliffs sitting over a deep, clear lake.  Very nice views in many places along the road out there.

The camp-site is typical Vancouver Island government... small little clearings surrounded by huge trees and a windy gravel road.  You are separate from your neighbours, but can walk quickly between sites to share beer, coffee or sugar.  You can get a good fire going, for cooking, light or heating, a picnic bench for food prep and eating, water near by and proper toilets in the middle.  The worst problem with these camp-sites is for campers... the flooring is gravel, meaning several layers of padding between you and the ground is essential for a good nights sleep, and getting tent pegs in and out is tricky.  Perfect though for parking up the RV and making a home for the weekend.

I just don't have an RV.  Or a Fifth Wheel... one of those on the site was bigger than most apartments and loomed over the driveways like the Starship Enterprise had landed a shuttle from space to investigate West Coasters.  I swear it had two stories, a garage and patio deck out back.  My little two man tent was the opposite end of the spectrum (though not quite the other end, the hammocks were the real back to nature choice), but suits me well enough. No one quite believes me you can sleep two in there, and the Attractive Brunette of my Acquaintance quite sensible brought along her own neat tent to accommodate her.

So, much Vichyssoise soup was consumed, provided by aforementioned Brunette. Damn fine soup for a warm spring day, washed down with a nice can of Thirsty Beaver from Tree.  A nice warm comfy night.  Except for the perennial problem I have with camping.  Somehow, my bladder -knows- when I have gotten zipped up and ready to sleep. No matter if I have made a pit stop before bed.  No matter if I've not drunk in five hours.  As soon as I am horizontal, and wrapped up, the bladder needs to be emptied.  And no walking barefoot into the woods to relieve myself... that gravel means every step is accompanied by a few choice swear words, waking the rest of your site (and several others).

Damn bladder.

We had plenty of small children running around the site, so to amuse them, there was a 'Go Fish' demonstration by the Freshwater Fish society of BC.  Kids could learn to cast, a little about the biology of fish and the work the society is doing to restock lakes.  Including the use of helicopters and rucksacks to bring fish into remote lakes.  Neat stuff, and I love how the parks seem to put on these activities for the children and add an activity for them to enjoy beyond running around the woods and getting muddy.  Though parents seem to think the latter is character building too.

The evening entertainment for me included several more beers (Bowen Island IPA, Lighthouse Switch Back IPA), smores, bean stew, Fentimann's and Gin for the Palazzo camp-site three of my friends were running (A-Class set up) and fire.  Fire is it's own entertainment, to watch the embers and flames burn, crackle and dance.  Everyone is entranced or just likes to watch things burn...

A warm cosy feeling inside me was with me as we left the next day.  Camping with friends is good for the soul and the shared memories it generates  Though the warm shower afterwards was almost as good a feeling, just not likely to be something I keep with me when I am seventy-five and in my dotage.

Cheers, Camping Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment