February 16, 2014

Original Joe's, Saanich

Back in 2012, I visited the Langford branch of Original Joe's, and as the record shows, I kinda liked it, but enough to drive there again.  Well, when (the terrible) Applebee's closed at Tuscany Village, it got replaced by an Original Joe's.  Owed and operated by the same couple who run the Langford branch, it's much the same deal here.  Except, it's local to me.  So, much more likely to be a choice.

Myself, the lovely Brunette of my acquaintance and her nearest and dearest took a trip to UVic on Alumni week.  The UVic Vikes Women's basketball team was playing, and for a mere $5, you got in as a group, and a free drink for wearing yellow and blue.  Bargain.  The game itself was entertaining, with the Vikes taking an early lead into the half, with some smart break away plays, but eventually losing at the Thompson Rivers' team started exploiting their better speed and pass break ups.  As with all hoops, the last 3 minutes takes far too long with too many intentional fouls and timeouts, but it was tense, and enjoyable with just a glimmer of hope for the local team.

Feasted on sport, it was time to fill our stomachs.  The choice was Joe's, after someone read the menu and found a particular dish to be absolutely the perfect match for their taste buds.  As noted before, the restaurant has the sports bar vibe, with a variety of appys and smaller dishes as well as big plates.  I believe there aim is to serve good portions of good, 'homestyle' food.  I was surprised to be greeted by my ex-colleague, but it was great to have a quick catch up.

The grilled cheeseburger is a prime example of the idea of big portions of good food. Two slices of grilled cheese on french bread.  Big fat beef burger, topped with bacon, lettuce and tomato.  One of those great juicy burgers, not a shriveled up lump of cow product.  Served with two sides, the choice of fries and veggies dips combined well... because fries dipped in the veggie dip are (I quote) 'heavenly'.  The idea of combing two favourites (burger and grilled cheese) solved a common conundrum for our youngest diner.  And the second half of this monster was boxed up for lunch the next day.

I'd also give full marks to the server for pointing out the size of the dish when ordered. That's taking care of your diners.  Also, knowing the full beer tap menu, including the local brews and styles gives her another plus one.  Actually, great service all over from her.  I'm afraid I didn't catch her name if her boss is reading this...

I wen for the Sergeant Pepper burger. If we look back 18 months, I made the exact same choice then.  I am clearly a sucker for spicy meat between two halves of bun.  I didn't jack the heat up this time, and it was fantastic, a juicy burger with plenty of flavour from the meat, heat from the black pepper and chipotle and crispness of the lettuce.  A word on the buns too.  No crumbly, disintegrating sponge of bread. Nope.  Proper buns, almost in the style of the peasant buns from the Portofino bakery.

The Brunette got the fish tacos.  The Brunette got me jealous.  Though it was that jealousy where you have something good in front of you, but you'd like to also have the other thing two, but you can't have both.  There's a whole metaphor and fable in there, I am sure.  Suffice to say, three huge fish tacos, served on a special taco rack to keep everything upright.  Coming with a mixed green salad, this was the healthy choice at the table.  But still had much delight in eating, from the smile on her face.

The sides were top notch.  The fries, as noted, are great dipped in the veggie sauce dip.  The fries in general are actually just great.  Crisp, cooked with the skin on, and left all fluffy on the inside.  The  devilled egg potato salad was creamy and good.  The honey slaw added a nice crunch to my burger.  I love the choice, to mix and match.  I might try the pan seared broccolini next time (string cut broccoli), if I decide the buck-fifty extra is worth the investment.

The only thing to note about going there for a family meal or catch up with friends is the abundance of TVs showing the sports channels.  If you are like me, and find moving images of people in atheletic competition distracting, then you might start staring at the Moguls, or Curling, or Basketball.  Though once the golf started, I was back into focusing on the people at hand.  Seems I visit OJ's only when the Olympics are on.  But, as the Sports Bar thing is part of the atmosphere they are working on providing, complaining about this is like complaining about the large sheet of ice at the Victoria Royals games.

In summary, Joe's is doing exactly what it sets out to do.  Good food, good servings, TVs for sports, room for family's to eat and chat, a range of decent beer if the game and Appys are your thing.  Enthusiastic staff, and a price that good value.  This is a great quality product and experience if that is what you are after. We were, and so yes, I would go back now I have a short walk there, rather than a short drive.

Original Joe's Bar and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment