November 05, 2012

Relish, Downtown Victoria

Relish is an awkward location. At least for Victoria.  Opposite the homeless drop in centre on Pandora, it's not unusual to have a few down and outs on the street near by.  Some just looking for someone to sit out undisturbed, and some strung out or drunk.  Compared to other places I've lived, it's not the cardboard city, or dangerous.  But there is the image thing.  Step around a drunk before you head to breakfast may be not want you want to do.

That middle-class snobbery of mine out of the way, you should ignore all that and visit Relish.  Great food, good atmosphere, well run and socially aware.

The place isn't big, seating maybe 16 at tables with a window bar for another half dozen.  A bright, roomy feel to the place, with plenty of varnished wood making it feel more like being in someone's kitchen than a dining room.  I got there early for my group, but there was no trouble seating me with a coffee while the other 4 people arrived.  Good coffee, hot, strong enough to deliver the caffiene, but not so strong I could feel hairs on my chest growing.

Eventually, the rest of my friends arrived (on time), and we ordered.  The Englishman in me sees baked beans as comfort food, the same way many of my North American friends view Kraft Dinner.  Baked Beans has the advantage of being more nutritionally complete than the packet of empty carbs and fake cheese that makes up Kraft dinner.  Not to say that I haven't partaken in Mac'n'Cheese happily.  Relish had Beans and Eggs with Organic greens on the menu, so I went for that.

The eggs were poached perfectly, bright yellow yolk flowing into the toast and beans.  Beans were tasty, with no huge globs of sauce, but beans, baked with a coating of sauce.  The greens though... oh the greens.  It's hard to wax lyrical about a bowl of lettuce and leaves.  But these were perfect.  Slightly bitter, slightly sweet, slighty tender, but still with some crunch. Seriously good.  I don't know if it was the mix, the preparation, the dressing or the organic-ness. Whatever it was, I was sad my salad was finished.  I don't say that very often.

Other people had the house benny, which was met to much approval as well.  Everything tasted fresh, well cooked. It felt local, the sort of healthy/aware feel that Victorians try to foster.  A genuine feel, rather than carefully orchestrated.

Final Bill
Coffee - $2.50
Eggs, beans and greens - $10.00

Total :  $16 with taxes and tip
Phone : 250-590-8464
Address : 920 Pandora Ave, Victoria BC
Website : http://www.relishfoodcoffee.com/

Relish Food and Coffee on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment