February 21, 2010

Tibetan Kitchen

Sorry Victoria, it's been a month. A long month which involved birthdays (mine), confusion (mostly mine) and immigration (mine). Attempt have been made to post more often. And take advantage of Dine Around Victoria.

So, I was out and about and the normal conversation came up... "where do we fancy eating?". With just two people, that's always a slightly easier task, and wander down Fort Street reminded me the the old Hand-made Noodle place had closed and been replaced by the Tibetan Kitchen.

I know nothing about Tibetan Cuisine. Nor did my friend. Time to investigate.

The inside has been nicely redecorated, with lots of browns and wood tones. A simple menu was given to us, but it left me none the wiser as to what to expect. It seemed to various curries, on rice or noodles. Brown rice was an option, which is a good thing.

A couple of portion of momo's were ordered for starter. These a doughy balls filled with meat or veg, and served with a salsa-like sauce and a heap of coleslaw. Much like a gyoza, but with a thicker wall of pastry. These had been steamed and then fried off. The contents were a little bland (the pork just tasted meaty and the veg was a melange of winter vegetable flavours), but filled a gap.

I ordered a Chicken Shepka (I think that was the name), while my friend ordered Butter Chicken. The Butter Chicken came with an unknown soup/sauce in a seperate bowl, a big mound of brown rice and a smallish bowl of butter chicken and a couple of fried flat breads. The mystery sauce was also a little bland, but the butter chicken, I am told, was okay. I can take or leave butter chicken myself, but I know other people love it.

The Shepka was more interesting. A pile of rice was topped with cooked mushrooms, friend chicken and fresh bean sprouts, all mixed with a subtly spicy and savoury sauce. The chicken was all small pieces each nicely cooked and tender. The rice was nutty, which is why I love brown rice, and worked well with the chicken.

Overall the price was good for an average meal, that was a little different but Tibetan here seemed to be a cross between Japanese and Indian styles. This is possibly due to a lack of understanding of what I was eating, style wise, but with a slightly off normal cuisine, I think it does help that the menu explains it's self more.

Final Bill:
Pork Momo's : $4
Vegetable Momo's : $4
Chicken Shepka : $10
Butter Chicken : $9

Location : 680 Broughton Street
Telephone : (250) - 383 - 5564

No comments:

Post a Comment