January 17, 2016

Cafe Veneto, Downtown Victoria

I'm surprised.  I could have sworn I had reviewed the Cafe at Veneto at some point in the past, but my search-fu suggests I have not published anything.  Or even mentioned before how much I like the cocktail bar and restaurant.  I would of sworn on my copy of Nigel Slater's "Real Fast Food" I once wrote a paragraph on how awesome the breakfast tagine was.  Pulses and lentils and eggs, all steamed and crammed together into a wholesome, filling brunch.  But, I must have been feverish that week, and dreamed the whole 'writing it down' part.

The tagine is no longer on the menu.  The list is relatively standard for Victoria: a classic breakfast, a benny, a hash, something super sweet, huevos rancheros and a lighter option.  This is not a criticism.  Having crazy or odd food is great. If you can pull it off.  Of course, if you can't pull of a good traditional breakfast either, then your not going to get a good review from me.

The Veneto Cafe can pull of their menu with good skill. I went for the traditional breakfast, and was rewarded with two perfectly, medium poached eggs, perfectly toasted bread (pre-buttered just right) and a pile of breakfast potatoes, crisp yet floury on the inside.  For the meat, I went with the bacon, and was rewarded with four rashers, cooked crispy so they crunched and shattered under my bite.  And there was hot coffee, medium roasted with just enough of an eye opening caffeine hit.

One of my friends ordered the short rib beef hash.  Piles and piles of meat in the bottom of the skillet, covered with potatoes and onions and arugula and curds and eggs.  Massive meal, he took half it home, after raving about how good the first half was.




No comments:

Post a Comment