August 09, 2015

The Salt and Pepper Fox, Food Delivery, Downtown Victoria

I am working at the Watershed a couple of days each week. I recently hosted a packed lunch boardgame session there.  The food was ordered in from the Salt and Peper Fox.  I assumed the Salt and Pepper Fox was some older dude with gray hair and a smooth, louche manner.   Instead, he's much younger, with no greying hair, and a friendly, effective manner.

The Salt and Pepper Fox specializes in handmade, brown bag lunches.  These are delivered to your workplace, as long as you've ordered before 3 pm the day before.  There's a small but good selection of sandwiches, 3 sides salads, and a bunch of extras, like pop, chips and cookies.

I ordered the Mum's egg salad, with a kale caesar (because I love my kale) and a bag of Hardbite salted chips.  It arrived all wrapped up in a big brown paper bag. My name on.  Just like my Mum would have made for me if she'd been in North America where the brown paper bag lunch is a thing. Instead, I used to have lunch in a plastic lunch box, with a thermos full of orange squash, and a sandwich roll, on a home baked bread roll.  If it was salami, the filling would not always get eaten (sorry mum).  If it was ham or cheese, it was eaten with much happiness.

But enough nostalgia.

The caesar had a smooth, creamy dressing, that wasn't slapped all over the leaves, but instead just enough to add a zest to the dark lush green leaves.  The croutons were crunchy, showing they'd only been added to the salad recently, and not allowed to soak and go soggy.  Very nice.

The sub-style sandwich was overflowing with a fresh egg mayonnaise and big chunks of mature cheddar cheese.  The eggs were rich, golden, flavourful chunks, that were offset by the slightly salty bite of the cheddar.  There was a liberal helping of crisp iceberg lettuce to add a little crunch to the proceedings.  A very fine sandwich, a two napkin affair as the filling escaped the bread.

The chips were 'Hardbite'.  They do a decent enough crunchy bag of chips.  I can't get excited about them.  They rounded out the $12 meal nicely. That's the meal deal: 1 sandwich, 1 side, 1 salad.  There's plenty of eating in there to fill you up. I'd probably leave the side for an afternoon snack next time... and go for a fresh baked cookie.

The roast chicken and harvati got two big thumbs up from the rest of the group. I'd probably give the tuna a go next time... tuna, cheddar and a fresh red pepper sauce sounds like a good combination to me.

Monday's lunch menu is always a special edition but I have no had a chance to try it yet. This isn't as cheap as Subway.  But this is also delivered, saving you time and effort, and you are getting great, healthy food.  My next packed lunch board game session is coming up on the 18th, and I'll be ordering again

http://www.saltandpepperfox.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment