July 26, 2015

Juma Food truck, Food Truck Fest, Victoria

The food truck fest was a wash out for me this Friday.  I got downtown as the heavens opened, so hardly had a chance to scout around and see what interesting things were on sale. Once the water starts dropping down the back of my t-shirt, I'm done.  I met my (damp) friends and then headed to a small silver caravan that had a chalkboard offering steak specials and an organic lentil dahl.  I thought about a steak or the Chinese five spice chicken wings, but this wasn't the weather for meat al fresco.

I got the dahl.  3 minutes later, I had a medium sized cardboard tray filled with Basmati rice, wilted greens and a healthy spoonful of a rich brown lentil stew. We headed to my friends apartment to eat, and on the way back, the poppadum shards took the worst of the rain.  I can't really rate how good these were.  Even the best in the world would have gotten soggy.

The rest of the meal was great.  The lentils with spicy, but not with an intense heat.  A flavourful, wholesome mouthful.  The greens counter-balanced the earthy tones of the curry.  The rice was cooked perfect.  I liked it.  I'd order more if I can find them again.

So looking to find out where they were from, I found the website, and discovered it's a farm-to-fork operation, producing their own meat and veg to serve.  The lovely brunette of my acquaintance would approve of their home raised, happy chickens.  I guess it's now a case of following them on twitter and seeing if I'll be nearby again.

As for everything else there... my friends said the Mac and Cheese from the Mac truck was awesome, and the burger was big, fat and delicious.  Sorry for the lack of details.  It wasn't a detail sort of day.

EDIT: https://streetfoodapp.com/victoria/juma ; This will help you find Juma, and I guess other food trucks in town.






No comments:

Post a Comment