November 15, 2014

La Taquisa, Downtown Victoria

Burritos and Tacos and Tex-Mex were a holiday treat for my Dad.  He never loved the pseudo-Mexican you could get in London, but whenever he came over to the US, he'd always try and get one meal in based around spicy beef, beans and tortilla.

I liked a big burrito, stuffed full of protein, beans, cheese and good dollop of sour cream.  The best, fast burrito I've had is about 3 minutes walk from where I am right now, Qdoba in Seattle airport.  He said name dropping to prove his jet setting ways.  For airport food, especially, they make a great tasting, rolled right in front of your face, hot burrito.  The meat is spiced, but not hot. The tortilla is steamed and looks like it could be placed over your face as a refreshing hot towel.  But it tastes nothing like a hot towel, being doughy and flexible, keeping in the contents all in place.

I like to grab a burrito there on lay over between Victoria and Seattle, filling my stomach up before a long distance flight; or refuelling after a long flight in.  Much better than anything high salt and high fat they serve on planes.  I recommend it, while sitting at a table watching the planes taking off.

Qdoba Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon

In Vancouver, I have fond memories of eating at Red Burrito on Robson Street near my friends apartment.  Coming back in after a evening playing poker or watching a BC Lions game, we'd grab a burrito, wrapped in a red tortilla and dripping in bean juice.  The meat was not up to much, but the filler always seemed fresh and, well, filling.  But it need a plate, you couldn't transport this and eat in one handed.

Looking at Urbanspoon, it seems it has gone now.  It always looked like someone had put it up in a hurry, with a simple wooden counter and daubed on paint work, cheap Formica tables and plastic chairs.  You weren't encouraged to stay around, really. Get in, get food, get out to wherever the night was taking you next.

So, as this becomes a column of burritos I have known and loved, we go back to Victoria and La Taquisa.  They started in a small shop in Cook Street village, and have now grown to two outlets, one down town and one out in the West Side Village.  They are going for fast and authentic, with certified meat from BC producers.  You can choose your meal, meat and salsa to build up your own burrito or tacos.

The first time I went, I ordered the Chicken Mole burrito with a medium mild salsa.  It was not for me.  The chicken tasted too bland and gritty, and the mole really didn't compliment anything else in the burrito. There was nothing wrong with it, I just didn't care for it.

But I went back again, and got the Cowichan Chicken Tinga El Gordo.  Shredded chicken cooked in a chipotle stew, and then wrapped with grated cheese and beans.  And extra beans for the El Gordo (big sized) wrap.  The tortillas are fresh and you can see the staff making them in the kitchen as you wait.  The meat complimented the rest of the filling, and the fresh, spicy flavour came through to make a package that worked together. Filled me right up, and no complaints.

I sat at the bar table talking through the world and it's worries with a good friend.  There's space to sit and relax over your food. They've made a bright, open space, with a few bench tables.  And decent sized too so you can spread out.  The only odd corner is the drinks and utensils alley way that has the recycling centre.  It seems like a dingy little space where I'm dumping my waste, but also getting a fresh glass of water.  I don't know, but those two things seem like they shouldn't go together.

I am not sure if La Taquisa will somewhere I remember in years to come, but for now, it's good spot.

La Taquisa on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment