January 12, 2014

Cusheon Lake Resort, Salt Spring Island

Is it Salt Spring or Saltspring?  I can never tell.  I'll take either one.

So, I found a set of cabins for rental on the island over New Year to chill out and relax in with some of my good friends.  A log cabin.  A fire place.  A quiet lake view.  A hot tub. Canoes.  A big pile of board games, and a huge amount of tasty food.  What could go wrong?

Nothing.  The only bad moment for me was breaking the door lock on the first night.  Didn't stop us getting in or out of the cabin, and the staff had a locksmith out to fix it the next day.  Something that just happens at times, and no fuss made.  In fact the staff were brilliantly laid back, happy folk.  They provided fire wood, and pretty much left people to get on with it and enjoy the peace.

The one bedroom cabin I stayed in was large, with a pull out sofa bed and day bed, as well as a big king size bed.  The TV and DVD player is in the bedroom which is a little odd.  Not that the TV really works to be the focus of a cabin getaway, but for the two bedroom places it did mean one couple had a TV and the other didn't.  And no watching the fireworks as a group when midnight came around.  Which hardly mattered.  New Year comes, everyone high fives, and some people head to bed, while other go back to books, card games, drinking or just chatting.

The kitchen is equipped with the basic utensils, which were perfect for knocking up dinner for 10-12 of us at once.  If you borrow plates from another cabin.  The fireplace pumps out heat, but it's a quick step onto the balcony to get a breath of fresh air and enjoy the lake view.  Super still and calm most of the time, it reflected the house lights across the water like a mirror.  The stillness was strange for a urbanite like me.  I suspect those who live in more remote parts of the country might have felt the car noise and occasional crunch on the gravel drive of people walking was deafening.

The resort has Canoes, and a couple of people did go out in the them for a tour around the lake.  I also did go in the water on New Years day for about 10 seconds.  I need to build up my resistance to the cold before I try for longer.  Did wake me up though, and made the hot tub feel even better.

The resort is 20 minute from Ganges by car, and maybe 30 from Fulford Harbour.  You can drop into town for supplies and then be back in the quiet.  I'd quite like to go back for a night or two when I need the quiet of a good book and very little company.

Cusheon Lake Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment