June 19, 2012

The Clay Pigeon, Downtown, Victoria

The Clay Pigeon takes over on a corner that has been home to a faceless cafe.  It might have been the best cafe in Victoria, but it always looked worn out, and more likely to serve me instant coffee than espresso.  Appearances... are important at times.

Blanshard and Broughton now has The Clay Pigeon. Opened ten weeks ago, it doesn't feel like an upscale restaurant, or a feeding house.  I think the word is "Bistro"... small, relatively intimate, but not over the top on fussy service or fancy trimmings.  The menu is short, concise but interesting.

I've been twice. Once for breakfast, where the choices start from your normal breakfast sandwiches, but then head into the less normal ratatouille or braised beef or green lentils.  I didn't take any notes on the "Normal Man" I had, but I know it was a competent plate of eggs, potatoes and a side of sage sausages. Which was not served on the side, but on the plate, as it should be in my world. I like my food to be in one place when I order it together.

For my recent Sunday dinner, I had the Basque Lamb Stew.  It was served in a lightly spiced sauce, with a mound of mashed potatoes, which had been crisped on one side.  The dish had lots of merguez sausage in the stew, but not too much lamb.  This meant it lacked a bit of the richness of well cooked lamb, which I love.  That said, I really liked the dish.  My companion had the Chicken Pot Pie.  This looked great, packed with chicken, snow peas and a rich gravy. 


No drinks, I didn't even check the drinks menu as I had driven down.  Which is I think just as well, as I note they have Delirium Tremens, a strong Belgian beer, much loved by many of friends.  Still, some other time, no doubt.  I was kept well topped up with water by the attentive, but innocuous wait staff. We got served, checked on for happiness and otherwise left alone.


I like the Clay Pigeon.  It has a low key vibe, good food, done with a bit of twist without disappearing into the gourmand fuss that wouldn't work in the area they seem to be targeting.

Final Bill:
Basque Lamb Stew - $17.00
Chicken Pot Pie - $16.00

Total $42.50 with taxes and tip
Phone: (250) 590-6657
Location : 1002 Blanshard Street, Victoria, BC, V8W 2H6


The Clay Pigeon Restaurant on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad you never tried the coffee that was at the restuarant that was there at the Clay Pigeon before it became the Clay Pigeon. The restaurant was called Valentino's - it had an old-style, home-style cafeteria feel to it. The owner was of Italian background, and man did he ever know how to make drip coffee. I had such amazing drip coffee there that after they closed, I had to stop drinking coffee altogether (even espressos, etc.). True story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn... I'm sorry to have missed that. Any other essential and less known spots in Victoria, please share!

    ReplyDelete