December 09, 2009

Travel : Dix Winter Extreme Caskival, Vancouver

This weekend just gone I headed over on the early ferry to head to the Winter Cask Ale event at Dix's BBQ and Brewery, in downtown Vancouver. The queue had already formed by the time we got outside the bar at 11.30am. I hadn't woken up properly yet. And I was about to drink what I expected to be several very strong beers.

I don't always make the most sensible, clean living choices.

Dix has its own in house brewery and BBQ pit (you can smell the smoke from the passage way near the restrooms), and serves a variety of good beers. It's also ground central on gameday for the BC Lions and hosts many CAMRA events as well. Dix is part of the Mark James Group, which owns other establishments, including Yaletown Brewing (Vancouver), Taylor's Crossing (North Vancouver) and the Whistler Brewhouse (Whistler, duh). A lot of these breweries were in evidence here, which was a little bit disappointing, as the Summer event always seems to spread the love a lot further.

Still, there was plenty of good beers, and a good crowd as well. Except for the Morris Dancers. Who I am sure are all very pleasant people, but dancing and singing in a crowded pub for four hours in black face and silly hats is a bit much. I'm not sure why that entitled them to get in first and not to pay the entrance fee. The accompanying music however was a nice pleasant background, so I'll let that part of the contingent off.

But apart from the recreation of silly English folk traditions, what about the beer? Here's my comments, based on my notes. They got progressively less detailed. I am sure there was a reason for that...

1 - Taylor's Crossing - Festbier - 12-midday. Marzen style lager, lots of subtle bitterness. Spiced with juniper berries. Not your lucky lager. I got this first as a simple beer to kick off, and to compare to my own homebrewed Marzen. This one was much better (of course) but nice to see mine was at least in the right style.

2 - Howe Sound - Father John Winter Ale - I am convinced this was the wrong beer served. From the bottle last year this was a big flavoured, vanilla, spiced malty beer of greatness. The beer from the cask I was given was a bit weak and not exciting at all.

3 - Storm - Mole Poblano Ale - Chipotle and ancho peppers with chocolate. A muddy, murky brew. Lacking in the hot peppery spark I was expecting, but a great dark chocolate bitterness to it.

4 - Dead Frog - Winter Warmer - Dry hopped with whisky soaked oak chips. You could taste the oaky barrel flavour over the mellow but nicely bittered beer.

5 - Spinnakers - IPA - Charged with a sweet wort and Magnum Hops. Spinnakers used to do a great IPA called Doc's. It was a light, mellow IPA, brilliant when served cellar temperature ('warm' if you insist) that was easy drinking and one of my favourite beers ever. Then they seemed to change the recipe and it was harsh, overly bittered drink and not worth the trip to Esquimalt to drink. This IPA was back to form. A nice undertone of bitterness but the sweetness was also there and it'd be a great beer to while away an hour or five, if it wasn't also 7.3%.

6 - Dockside - Winterbock - Great Flavour with Malts and Hops and Goodness (word for word what I wrote. Hmm).

7 - Yaletown - Le Nez Rouge - Really strong ale with the only flavour being really strong alcohol flavour.

8 - Taylor's Crossing - Christmas Cake - Pretty much what it said on the tin (well barrel). Amber ale made with Molasses, candied fruits and Christmas spices. Smelt like my dad's best Christmas Cake recipe. Which is awesome.

9 - Steamworks - Espresso Stout - A shot of caffeine to wake me up. Guinness with coffee.

10 - Whistler Brewery - Wolfbeer - Good session beer, nice hints of malt flavours. I wrote 'malt liquors' but I am sure that would have been not good. Hmmm. These were only 1/4 pint glasses, but most were pretty strong. And I'd only eaten a bowl of gumbo....

11 - Dix - IPA - Traditional IPA - You can get this anytime at DIX. Or any other local brewpub. Or in a bottle marked 'Standard IPA that this brewery does because we should have an IPA on our list'. Not bad. Just nothing to get excited about. Or travel to Vancouver for.

12 - Yaletown - Oud Bruin - A flemish style sour beer, aged since January, made with 6 yeasts. Some sour beers are face puckering and aggressive. This was much more subtle. Yes it was sour, but there was still a nice dark ale nuttiness in there. Probably the best beer at the event for the ability it seemed to show in the brewers craft.

13 - Whistler Brewery - Double IPA - My notes say 'marvellous IPA'. I think I went back for a second. 

By this point the event was winding down after 5 hours, the golden bung for best beer had been handed out, and it was time to think about heading onwards.  It felt like much past 8. Early drinking ruins my body clock. So we headed down to the Alibi room...

No comments:

Post a Comment